Crochet Hats of Every Style
Crochet hats can be anything from fun in the sun to woolly winter wonders. You can find a sophisticated crochet hat as well as a flouncy crochet hat that any kid would opt for. Well, we have a free hat crochet pattern or two that you are going to adore. Crochet hat easy and medium level patterns can be found here, with more difficult ones to follow. be sure to check out our crochet cap articles as well. Happy crocheting.
Free hat crochet pattern #1: This is a colorful snow hat with tassels, absolutely adorable for any youngster.
- 3.0 mm crochet hook
- wool needle
Ch 41, or to your desired length. Make sure you leave enough chains to fold over your brim.
- Row 1 - sc into 2nd chain from hook, sc to end (40), fasten off yarn. Turn work and join on new color.
- Row 2 - ch 1, sc in every stitch to end (40), fasten off yarn. Turn work and join on new color.
- Keep making rows with whatever colors you are using. Make the length of rows to measure the circumference of the wearer's head plus 1".
- Lay your hat out flat, positioning the seam wherever you want it to be (on the side or in the back). The beginning and end seams will come together to create the seam and close the crochet hat. Sew down this seam.
- Tie the ends of the threads together to make a row of tassels at the top of the hat. This does two things: one, it closes the top of your lovely crochet hat and, two, it looks adorable!
- Trim tassels if necessary and fold over brim. Sew in ends to complete your crochet hat easy as can be.
Free hat crochet pattern #2: Here is a sweet sun bonnet for kids (with ruffle):
Use a soft and light-weight yarn for this lazy day sun hat.
- Round 1: Chain 4, join. 12 dc's in the ring, join.
- Round 2: Chain 3, 2 dc's in each st around, join.
- Round 3: Chain 3, dc in same st, *1 dc in next st, 2 dc in next st* repeat from * around, join.
- Round 4: Chain 3, dc in same st. *1 dc in next 2 sts, 2 dc in next st * around, join.
- Round 5: Chain 3, dc in same st. *1 dc in next 3 sts, 2 dc in next st. * around, join with 2 sl sts, and turn hat.
- Round 6: sc in each st around, join with sl st. Turn hat back to original position.
- Round 7: Chain 3, dc in same st, dc in each st around (in back loop) join.
- Rounds 8-11: Chain 3, dc in same st, dc in each st around (in front loop only). At the end of row 11, join with sl st in next two sts, turn hat.
- Round 12: sc in each st (in back loop) around, join.
- Round 13: Chain 1, *sc in next 2 sts, then work 5 dc's in next st (back loops only) to form ruffle* repeat from * around, join.
- Round 14: work 5 dc's in one sc from previous round, (skip second sc) then sc in third st of next ruffle. Repeat around to make second row of ruffles on brim. Join, finish off, weave in ends.
- Embellish with a sweet flower, lady bug, or heart for a personal touch.
Learn how to crochet a hat with some of our other crochet hat patterns.